The SOMA Scholarship Fund was established to recognize the significant contributions enlisted SOF Medics have made to our country and to provide them with limited assistance to offset the costs of higher education.
While not intended to act as a loan, to fund the full educational costs, or for use by family members and/or dependents, it does provide financial assistance to the member. and allows for renewal for each subsequent year of an awardee's current program. Scholarship awards are in the amount of $1000 and allows for renewal for each subsequent year of an awardee's current program. Additionally, SOMA extends complimentary membership for the duration of the scholarship.
How to Apply for a Scholarship
Interested applicants that meet the below eligibility requirements are required to upload the following documentation to the online application portal.
1. Essay - The essay presents you an opportunity to speak directly to the Scholarship Committee. Limit your document to no more than three pages and include the following information:
- brief personal introduction
- past lessons learned
- plans for the future
- why/how the scholarship money will help you accomplish your mission(s)
- any additional information about yourself, including where you've been and where you'd like to go (metaphorically-speaking).
2. Proof of acceptance/enrollment in a health/medical program at an accredited institution/university
3. DD-214 Documentation of military service.
4. Other Federal service documentation (TDY orders, CED orders, Letters of Authorization, etc. )
The committee is looking for candidates with a strong sense of purpose, service, and commitment, who intend to continue serving their community and their country.
Please be sure to redact personal information from the documentation that you do not want shared, including your social security number and your birthdate. Do not include classified or otherwise sensitive information.
Scholarship funds are available to SOF-qualified (US Army: Special Forces / Ranger / 160th SOAR / Civil Affairs ; US Navy: SEAL / SWCC / SARC; USMC: MARSOC / Reconnaissance; USAF: Pararescue) SOMA members in good standing for two years, that are either enrolled or accepted in an accredited health/medical program.
The SOMA Scholarship and Awards Committee will determine the award amount to recipients based on financial needs, merit, academic and/or health care potential.
November 18, 2021 – Call for Applications opens.
January 24, 2021 – Call for Applications closes.
February 14, 2022 – Review committee determines finalists and applicants are notified.
February 21 – February 25, 2022 – Finalists interviewed
April 1, 2022 – Awardees announced and notified
May 2022 – Funds distributed
Only online applications will be accepted. Click here to submit your application.
The deadline to apply for a scholarship is January 24, 2022 at 11:59 pm CT.